Monday, June 05, 2006

Life's a Beach


Even though it rained most of the time, my first trip to the beach this year was still enjoyable. I even managed to get a little sunburn on Sunday. On Friday night I had the ritualistic slices at Mack & Manko's and a little soft serve to top it off. Saturday was raining so I headed to AC and instead of hitting my usual haunts, The Taj and Borgata, I decided to check out the new poker room at the Hilton. It's a nice space and even has some windows, but the hosts have a lot to learn about running a poker room. They were spreading only low limit games, but they did have a No Limit game in session so I took a seat to check things out. I mostly folded pre-flop as I tried to get a feel for the players. They were mostly weak-passive, limping in to the pot and then checking and calling bets. The first hand I played I raised from early position with a pocket pair of sevens and got at least five callers. I flopped a third seven to make my set but there were two hearts on the board and with that many callers I knew a suck-out was coming. I bet strong and all but one player dropped out. Of course the next card out was a heart and while I knew I was beat I decided to call just so I could see what the guy was holding as it might be worth something down the road. Of course he had the ace of hearts and the case seven, also a heart. I didn't play many more hands as I decided that with this group I had to play ABC poker to establish a table image and then maybe I could make some moves later on. The poker gods were not kind to me this day as every one of the few hands I played improved on the flop but were always paired with some kind of draw against me. I flopped another set, but with three diamonds on the flop it was a guaranteed suck-out waiting to happen. I flop top two pair on another hand, but of course they're no good when you can't get the drawing hands to fold even to strong bets. I played for maybe two hours and left the table down about $200. If I had more time I think it would have been profitable to wait it out, but I had dinner reservations and didn't want to be late.
Sunday the sun finally broke out, but it was still a bit windy on the beach and the water was way too cold for swimming, although a few brave souls gave it a shot.
I am looking forward to many more beach trips this summer with both better weather and better luck at the tables.

3 comments:

PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

Poker Pro: PinF wants to arrange a Blogger sponsorship. A business transaction if you will. Perhaps this will allow us less gambling souls to partake in the action vis a vis through proxy if you will. Perhaps minimum investments of say $20.00 a person, then you take your blogger booty and try to run it up as high as you can using due diligence due unto the members of this cooperative. Then you'll return to HQ (hopefully with winnings) and we throw it all on the bar at Sligo's to relive our investment through your play by play synopsis of how you accumlated said winnings. We'll need to issue you an official sponsors shirt. I'll have MofC begin "drawing" the prototype on his Microsoft paint program.

akjn westside said...

I am in PP and PinF!

PokerPro said...

That could be interesting. I wonder how it would affect my play.