Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cash Game at Borgata

So the brew fest at Iron Hill was sold out so early I never stood a chance. By 11 am there were no more tickets and I was still sound asleep at the time. I will just have to wait until next year.
On Thursday I finally sauntered back into the poker room at the Borgata after a brief hiatus from the live action and mostly playing online. There was a short wait to get into a juicy No Limit game and I finally took an open seat and unracked my chips. I watched a few hands to get a feel for how some of the players were playing and then joined in the action. I mostly folded early on as I was not getting any really playable cards and the few hands I got involved in I was unable to continue after the flop. After about an hour I was stuck a bit but stayed patient and stuck to my game plan. Since it was my first game back I decided I would walk if I doubled up my chips and that was not looking like a favored expectation in the early stages of the game. After almost 2 hours I started getting some decent hands to play and at one point went a on a 6 hand streak where I was dealt 88, 99, JJ, QQ, AQ and AK suited consecutively. With the nines and queens I ended up making three of a kind on the flop to win two huge pots and I even managed to win a big pot with my AK with no improvement when I sensed my opponent had just a little less of a crappy hand than I did. I had bet the flop when nothing came on the board to help me and she called very quickly. I bet the turn again with no help and she called that bet, too. On the river a scare card came that looked like it had completed a spade flush draw. I thought about betting but if she sensed I was weak and raised me I would have had to fold, so I decided to save the chips, check and put out a weak vibe that she might interpret as strength (weak means strong alot of the time in poker, its a tell you just learn to pick up on the more you play). I think she thought I was trying to trap her so she checked and announced "I missed" and I couldn't believe I had wont he pot with an ace high. The rest of the table was pretty surprised, too. As I had more than doubled up my chips after the six hand win streak, I grabbed some racks and proceeded to pile up my chips. I jokingly offered to sell my seat to another player who was anxiously awaiting my departure so he could move into it. I walked to the cashier and left with a nice profit for a three hour session, just shy of my favorite four-figure mark.
I will be heading back again next week and can't wait to get back in the swing of things again!

No comments: