Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's New & Stuff

OK, last Wednesday's tournament at Borgata: I thought my Ace-Ten was good when I moved all-in after two more tens came on the flop. Actually, I bet out, was raised and then moved all-in, but regardless, I was called by an inferior hand (Queen-Ten) and the bastard got lucky on the river and I was sent packing. End of story on that one. John "Johnny World" Hennigan, the former Philadelphia pool shark, once from Brigantine and now hailing from Las Vegas, won the main event and the $1.6 million first prize Tuesday night.
Saturday morning I awoke with a craving for Dim Sum and since CNN hasn't posted about it yet, I am going to now.
As I said, I awoke with a craving, a hankering if you will, for some Chinese Dim Sum. And as we all know the best place for Dim Sum in Philadelphia is the Imperial Inn in ChinaTown, I headed there with CNN (after much hemming and hawing about her not being ready yet) and another friend who does not like to be mentioned in these blogs but often is, Bill G. (is that anonymous enough for you Mr. Granger?)
Anyway, we head downtown and go directly to the Imperial Inn. We are quickly seated and the room is abuzz with late-morning/early afternoon diners. The Dim Sum carts came around quickly and within minutes we had several small plates of assorted delicacies in front of us. My favorite was the steamed barbeque pork buns. Bill and CNN liked the fried dumplings. I was forced to try the chicken feet and found no enjoyment in them at all. We sampled spare ribs with black beans, curry chicken, taro and shrimp, crab claw and numerous other goodies. The coconut pudding was excellent, too! So after the food and a few Tsing Tao beers, we were on our way.
While I thought we were headed home, we decided to hit Olde City and have another drink. We started at The Plough & Stars, then hit the historic City Tavern, then Sugar Mom's and then back to the Plough & Stars where we now found our buddy Randy behind the bar!
By this point I was ready to go as the quick trip for food had turned into a five hour pub crawl, plus I was the designated driver and really couldn't drink anymore. So back to Media we went.
All in all in it was a fun day and I'd like to do it again with Jojo next time and maybe we can stop by the Tut exhibit at the Franklin Institute or the Auto Show. Who's game? Please RSVP in the comments section.

6 comments:

cns said...

"forced to try the chicken feet?"
you couldn't wait to chew on those talons!
you almost knocked down the dim sum girl

my computer is at ak's repair shop (most likely unrepairable)
me so sorry about the lack of blogging
prolly been delinked from pinfers paradise's blog...

the saturday outing was fun
i didn't realize it was only for dim sum
"can't we stay out till 6?"
glad we got to one of my favorite spots...sugar mom's
simone loves the toys

ah...the auto show
no thanks
tut...
maybe

how about the mutter museum and eulogy for plump mussels and aggressive beers

PokerPro said...

OK, Mutter Museum it is! But let's eat first, we might not have that big an appetite after the Mutter!

akjn westside said...

I might have to pass on Sat-I need to be in shape for the Broozers @ Sligos that evening. Into seeing the tut, tho.

Was the dim sum girl hot? We had a chicken foot experience out in CA once, and only once.

Sorry about the Borgota results, but tomorrow is another day!

Chuck said...

Forget the dim sum, the Franklin Institute, the Auto Show and I'll join you for the drinks!

Anonymous said...

Watch out... Granger might start his own blog now!

akjn westside said...

Tim-had a ball with you and Maura last night :)